College success depends on more than good study habits and hard work, and Welcome Week activities at Seward County Community College address that reality. Vice President of Student Services Celeste Donovan has set up a fun and forward-thinking roster of activities to help students start the year connected and confident.
“Welcome Week is more than greeting new Saints and helping them locate their classrooms,” said Donovan. “Our goal is really to help each student feel at home, and comfortable on campus.”
Welcome Week kicks off with move-in weekend in the Student Living Center, Aug. 18. Starting at 8 a.m., Saints who plan to live on campus can check in at the SLC, where they will receive their key cards to the building and their rooms, as well as important information about dorm life. Though campus is a little on the quiet side on Saturday, team members from various SCCC departments will be on hand to answer questions and help students and parents feel right at home.
Serving on the front line of SLC logistics will be Housing Director Jennifer Malin, assistant director Paul Fischer and assistant director Tyler Mangels. These SCCC employees oversee and coordinate housing in the SLC, the Mansions directly adjacent to the dorm, and the Hale Court housing units for male students.
“We realize college is a big change for all the members in a family, and that’s one reason we work to welcome not only our Saints but their parents and even siblings on that big day,” Donovan said. Everyone is welcome to stay for the college’s annual back-to-school picnic in the SLC courtyard, starting at 5 p.m. Great Western Dining director Jerry Odle and his crew will be on hand with the college’s custom-built smoker (thanks to the Industrial Tech division instructors and students from years past), and plenty of cookout fare.
Following that first weekend, Student Life Director Wade Lyon kicks off a week of special activities designed to help students get to know one another and the community.
Monday, August 20
• Minute To Win It Games 11:30 a.m. – SCCC Gym; Kick off welcome day with the opportunity to have fun, meet other students and win some free stuff.
• Welcome Day Check In (first year students) – 12:30 p.m. – SCCC Gym.
• Meet Your President and Vice-Presidents – 1 p.m. – SCCC Gym.
• Playfair (first year students) – 1:30 pm – SCCC Gym; It’s entertainment. It’s fun. It’s the perfect way to make new campus friends. Please dress comfortably.
• Advisor Q & A and Tour (first year students) – 3 p.m. – Various locations
• Campus/Community Fair and Dinner – 5:30 pm – SCCC Gym; Make yourself at home with resources from local clubs, organizations, and businesses.
Tuesday, August 21
• Hypnotist Daniel James – 7:30 p.m. – Location TBA; One of the busiest comic hypnotists entertainment, James has appeared on ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX affiliates. He presents a lighting fast, high energy, interactive experience unlike any other.
Wednesday, August 22
• Totally Tattoos – 10 a.m. – Student Union; Using washable body paint, our airbrush artists can put a design on your hand, neck, arm, shoulder or leg that will last for days. Choose from butterflies, dragons, spiders, stars, tribal images, peace signs, snakes, wristbands and more.
Thursday, August 23
• Brown Bag Bingo – 7:00 pm – SW229; Brown bags filled with over $500 in prizes including snacks and drinks, gift cards, Beats, wireless speaker, phone accessories, etc. It’s simple: get a bingo, pick a bag and win a prize. Free popcorn and drinks means everyone wins.
Friday, August 24
• Free Donuts – 8:00 am – Saints Bookstore; On your way to class stop by the Saints Bookstore and pick up a free donut. While you are there, enter a drawing to win one of three $100 gift cards to the Saints Bookstore.